Hull’s historic Trinity House charity is supporting Hull Minster’s exciting future, building on links going back almost 700 years.
The seafaring charity has sponsored more than two dozen chairs to support Hull Minster’s development project which is transforming the church into an open and flexible space for worship and a wide range of cultural, social and community events.
The donation by Hull Trinity House brings the total number of chairs sponsored by supporters of the church to 116, raising £38,400 towards a target of generating £100,000 from dedication of new seating in acts of tribute, celebration or remembrance. The fund-raising drive is making an important contribution to the overall £4.5m target to deliver the transformation project.
Officially founded in 1369, Hull Trinity House is a charity supporting seafarers and their families in times of need. The organisation has had a strong affiliation with Hull Minster – formerly Holy Trinity Church – since the 14th century when townspeople banded together to offer each other assistance in times of hardship, leading to the later formation of the historic guild.
The ancient guild maintains the traditions of the charity and is the custodian of historic artefacts collected by the Brethren of Trinity House over the centuries. Historically, the guild established an altar and chapel in the church and has continued to have an important presence within the majestic building.
The Vicar of Hull Minster, the Reverend Canon Dr Neal Barnes, said: “The generosity of the wonderful people at Trinity House is humbling.
“Our association with the charity goes back to the 14th century when parishioners helped each other in times of hardship. Ever since then, Trinity House has been an important part of our history and it’s great that the links remain so strong.