There was great joy in Withernwick in the East Riding on Sunday 24th June as the small village’s sole community facility – St Alban’s Church – reopened for business with its brand-new roof.
January was not a good time to begin work on replacing a church roof – but the original plans to start work on St Alban’s Church in Withernwick were beset with financial problems, not least the fact that tenders came in considerably higher than expected.
“It has been mammoth effort by many in the community to complete the not-inconsiderable repairs to the roof,” said Priest-in-Charge the Revd Anne White.
The old roof, last replaced in 1855 was beginning to show its age with many slates missing or broken and part of the roof was beginning to buckle.
These urgent repairs could not have happened without very considerable local fund-raising and of course a major grant of £99,500 from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund, as well as Withernwick Wind Farm, York Historic Churches Trust, Garfield Weston foundation and All Churches Trust. The bells have gone to be re-furbished so the bell cote looks a little empty.
“Whilst it is great to see the church looking so good from the outside this is only the first part of an overall vision to make it a community building as well as a place for worship,” added Anne White.
“This in itself will take time since all financial reserves are drained and we have to pay back a loan from the Diocese of York of £20,000.”
Thanks go to Geoff Neale Roofing and the masons who worked in all weathers, but the largest thanks go to all those who helped clear up inside and make it habitable again for the first service of the New Year on June 24th.
- Pictured: members of the congregation and Priest in Charge the Revd Anne White following the service.