- News & events
- Appointing the next Archbishop of York; a prayer and some questions
The Bishop of Hull, the Rt Revd Alison White, has written a prayer for use by churches, groups and individual people throughout the Diocese of York.
And after we pray, we're invited to consider some questions (below) about the next Archbishop and contribute to the consultation process.
you guide your people
and raise up leaders in every generation.
We seek the person you are calling to be Archbishop of York.
By your Spirit, give to all those involved in the appointment
good counsel, holy insight and sound judgement.
Keep the person you are calling under the shadow of your wing,
and teach us all to trust in the guidance which is yours alone,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Join in the consultations:
- What are the issues with which a new Archbishop should usefully engage at diocesan, regional, national and international levels?
- What qualities, skills, or leadership characteristics in Archbishop Sentamu’s ministry have helped you to grow in faith and/or to express that faith in day to day life?
- What qualities, skills or leadership characteristics will his successor require so that church and community life can be helped to flourish?
- What particular characteristics, qualities or skills will the new Archbishop need to fulfil the diocesan responsibilities given the regional, national and international aspects of the role?
- Are there any other important points that you would like the Vacancy in See Committee to know?
You can submit answers online here.
Alternatively you can write to Canon Peter Warry (Secretary to the Vacancy in See Committee) by 15th April at Diocese of York, Amy Johnson Way, Clifton Moor, York, YO30 4XT or email email@example.com.