Firstly, we’d like to say a big thank you to all Treasurers for the work you do to help your church. We value your help, and hope that we can support you in your work.
Please remember, if you need any help with parish finances, you can always call the Diocesan Finance Team: call the Diocesan Office on 01904 699500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following is a list of essential resources to assist Treasurers old & new. It acts as one-stop point of reference to assist treasurers in their duties and help with handovers etc. The bullet points link to information that is more detailed contained elsewhere.
- Free membership of ACAT is a national support charity that ‘provides support for Treasurers of Christian Churches… providing advice, training and information on accounting, financial, legal and other related issues’.
- An introductory guide for New Church Treasurers shared with kind permission by ACAT and contains useful information for new and current Treasurers.
- Online Banking for PCCs; guidance for Treasurers.
- Parish Resources The Parish Resources website has lots of really useful resources for Treasurers, including on the preparation of your annual report and accounts.
- Diocese of York Finance website pages contains specific finance information relating to the Diocese of York.
- Treasurer Event Calendar The Church Year for a PCC Treasurer listing the key events a treasurer needs to be aware of.
- Annual Parish Returns Deadlines for and details of what is required at the financial year-end 31st December.
- Independent Examination Help for the Treasurer and examiner on what is required for an examination/audit.
- PCC Thresholds What needs to be done and when as your PCC income grows.
- Charity Commission Registration Since 1st October 2008, PCCs with gross annual income over £100,000 have been required to register with the Charity Commission. Below this level they have 'excepted status', that is to say they are merely excepted from registering with the Charity Commission but are still required to meet the requirements of a registered charity.
- Budgets Chapter 5 of the New Treasurers handbook provided by ACAT will help you with creating a budget. Financial planning in the shape of budgets combined with simple cash flow forecasting will ensure that the ministry and mission of the church is adequately resourced and can be carried through without suddenly running out of cash.
- Parish Fees How the fees for funerals and weddings are calculated and who gets what portion of the fee.
- Online Diocesan Directory Help us to keep in contact with you and you with each other and us especially your DFA
- Newsletters may be a list of useful newsletters to sign up to like the Briefing, Generous Giving etc
- Parish Buying Parish Buying is an initiative set up centrally by the Church of England to help all parishes access best value supplies of the things that parishes buy the most, such as utilities, stationery etc. Ensure you get the best deal for your church you by using this as a reference point.
- Deanery Financial Advisers The purpose of the role is to support the parishes in the Diocese of York in managing their finances and facilitating the role of money as an instrument for mission. They act as a bridge between parish, deanery and diocese, taking an active role within the Deanery Leadership Team working closely with the Archdeacon, whose appointment they are.You can find your DFA details using the online Diocesan Directory.
- PCC Accountability Guide The Treasurer’s 'bible' that tells you everything you need to know and more. Download a pdf version from here