The Bishop of Hull, the Right Reverend Alison White, will bless a plaque to commemorate the refurbishment of St Mary’s Church Lads’ and Church Girls’ Brigade (CLCGB) hall during a service at St Mary’s Church, Beverley, on Sunday 13th October 2019.
The Bishop will join children and young people from the Beverley CLCGB along with donors and invited guests to celebrate the extraordinary generosity of those who have contributed to this project.
The Church Lads’ and Church Girls’ Brigade band will then lead a procession to the hall on George Street half a mile away, where the plaque will be installed.
The building, originally a Victorian warehouse, was purchased for the St Mary’s Beverley Company in 1908 by Neville Hobson.
It has been an important centre for children and youth work for 111 years, providing a safe place for children and youngsters to gather, engage in sports, make crafts and consider important themes such as friendship, forgiveness and justice.
The extensive £420,000 refurbishment, spearheaded by Tony and Lesley Wood, will ensure a safe and secure environment for young people for the years to come.
Over £300,000 came from individuals who value the work of the organisation and just over £100,000 came from grants and community organisations including £25,000 from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.
The Reverend Becky Lumley, Vicar of St Mary’s and Chaplain to St Mary’s CLCGB said, “It is difficult to overestimate the importance of this project for the young people of the town and we are enormously grateful to all those who have supported us, including the council for their grant of £25,000.”