- 'Everyone's Business' ~ Diocese of York Safeguarding Week 2021
“Good decisions are based on good relationships”
~ Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell
22-26 November 2021
The week aims to encourage greater partnership working, supporting effective safeguarding practice in our parishes, and nurturing safeguarding in its widest sense.
Each day will begin at 9.00am with a prayerful reflection released on Facebook (www.facebook.com/DioceseOfYork) and in 'News' on this site.
A variety of events is available each day (scroll down for details) to help parishes and church communities build their understanding and awareness of safeguarding good practice and also how to identify what signs they should be looking out for, and where to turn to if they have concerns about children, young people or adults.
Formats will include interactive virtual training events
alongside some recorded sessions, some of which will remain on our
website afterwards as part of a growing library of valuable resources at
Safeguarding Adviser Julie O’Hara says, “Please join us during this
important week so that we can work together to ensure that Safeguarding
continues to be Everyone’s Business.”
Monday to Thursday events on Zoom unless shown otherwise:
click on event for more information and booking details.
Please note Zoom sessions will be recorded but only keynote speakers’ contributions will be retained and published.
Monday 22nd November ~ Good Practice in Parishes
9.00am online reflection by Independent Chair of the Diocesan Safeguarding Strategy Group, Professor Sue Proctor.
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Roles and Responsibilities. Jenny Price
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Improving your Cybersecurity. PC Phil Lacey (North Yorkshire Police)
- 12.30pm - 1.00pm: 'Light Bite' - Top Ten Tips for staying safe online. Cath Knibbs
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: Understanding children’s mental health. The Revd Mel Meesam
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: New Beginnings: Yes you can! Embedding safeguarding in new activities and new mission. Heather Black
- 6.30pm - 8.00pm: Keeping Yourself Safe. Andrew de Smet
Tuesday 23rd November ~ Keeping our Children Safe
9.00am online reflection by Archdeacon of the East Riding the Ven Andy Broom, Safeguarding Lead, Diocesan Leadership Team.
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Self-harm, suicide and eating disorders ~ More than just attention seeking. Dan Hussey
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Children's Behaviour Online. Cath Knibbs
- 12.30pm - 1.00pm: 'Light Bite' - Safe activities for children. Carolyn Edwards
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: How to use the online Disclosure & Barring (DBS) application system. Matthew Coady of ThirtyOne:Eight (independent Christian safeguarding charity)
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: Domestic and Sexual Violence. Donna Clark and Sam Beckett (Independent Domestic Abuse Service - IDAS)
- 6.30pm - 8.00pm: Transgender, sexual identity and young people in the church. Carolyn Edwards
Wednesday 24th November ~ Improving our Knowledge
9.00am online reflection by Pastor of York Minster, the Revd Canon Michael Smith.
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Supporting and Managing someone in distress. Lisa Whitley
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Growing safe churches - Safeguarding at the heart of the Gospel. Ian McIntosh
- 12.30pm - 1.00pm: 'Light Bite' - Good Practice in Recording Safeguarding Information. Rob Marshall
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: Emerging Challenges in Safeguarding. Dee Cooley
- 6.30pm - 8.00pm: Developments in the Clergy Discipline Measure (CDM). Peter Collier
Thursday 25th November ~ Caring for Our Adults
9.00am online reflection by the Bishop of Hull, the Rt Revd Alison White.
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Understanding Dementia. Speaker from Dementia Forward
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Safe Spaces ~ How to work with people who have suffered trauma. Donna Craine and Eleanor Spencer
- 12.30pm - 1.00pm: 'Light Bite' - Safer Recruitment and People Management. Becci Richardson
- 3.30pm: 'Rip-Off Yorkshire' ~ keeping vulnerable people safe from fraud. Andy Fox (North Yorkshire Police)
- 2.00pm - 3.30pm: Raising awareness of Mental Health and Mental Capacity. Jonathan Hill & Carolyn Kay
- 6.30pm - 8.00pm: Spiritual Abuse. Lisa Oakley
Friday 26th November ~ Supporting Survivors
9.00am online reflection by the Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell.
Responding Well: Keeping victims and survivors at the centre of our practice
In-person event hosted by the Archbishop of York at Bishopthorpe Palace.
Maximum 2 people per parish due to limit on numbers.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for free tickets.
- 10.00am - 12.30pm: Responding Well: Keeping victims and survivors at the centre of our practice
Go to Safeguarding Home Page