Skip to content

The Bishopthorpe Trust

An independent charity supporting ministers in or approaching retirement

Kirsty McCullough

Executive Assistant to the Diocesan Secretary & Chief Executive / Diocesan Office Manager / Diocesan HR Advisor

01904 699503

The Bishopthorpe Trust offers help and support to clergy, Licensed Lay Workers and their families with personal and housing needs as they approach and live in retirement.

All applicants must at some stage of their career have worked within the Diocese of York.

Established in 1975 (Registered Charity no 504236), the Bishopthorpe Trust’s purposes are:

  • To give financial assistance for housing needs, in the form of non-repayable grants or loans at low or no interest.
  • To provide assistance with residential accommodation and the repair and improvement of such accommodation.
  • To help those who are aged or disabled in the provision of proper care.
  • To assist in such other ways as the Trustees may decide within the terms of the Trust.

Who can the Bishopthorpe Trust help?

Clergy and their families who are contemplating retirement or who have retired. Also Licensed Lay Workers and their families. Applicants may be single, married, divorced or widowed.

How can the Bishopthorpe Trust help?

  • Supporting removal expenses
  • Providing financial help to improve housing, both interior and exterior, e.g. painting, decorating, heating.
  • Improving security, e.g. burglar alarms.
  • Providing equipment for disabled people, e.g. wheelchair ramps, bath supports.
  • The Trustees will consider other requests within the purposes of the Trust.
  • The Trustees meet regularly to consider applications for grants or loans according to individual circumstances.

Further information and how to apply for support

Please view the documents below for an application form and privacy notice:

Please contact Kirsty McCullough by email: or in writing:

Diocese of York,
Amy Johnson Way,
YO30 4XT.

Alternatively – or additionally – you may like to discuss some of the issues with your Archdeacon or Clergy Retirement and Widow(er)s Officer.